So Nvidia has announced what appears to be a reference tablet platform design. The Idea here being that they come up with the design for the hardware, software, OTA Updates, and their partners (eVGA, PNY, etc) build and distribute them. It is not unlike how they design GPU’s, by building reference designs and then having their hardware partners build them and bring them to market. So what is it about the Tegra Note that you should be excited about? Well here are the specs for the platform:
|Processor||Tegra 4 mobile processor with quad-core Cortex-A15 CPU and 72-core GeForce GPU|
|Display||7-inch HD IPS LCD display (1280 x 800)|
|Camera||Rear 5MP and front VGA webcam|
|Storage||16GB storage with microSD expandable up to an additional 32GB|
|Audio||Front-facing “HD Audio” stereo speakers with a unique bass-reflex port|
|Stylus||Chisel and Brush tips for natural writing and broad strokes|
|Peripherals||Micro HDMI connector to drive big screen TV videos and gaming|
|OS||100% Android with latest version of the OS|
|Software Updates||Over-the-air software updates directly from NVIDIA|
|Battery Life||10 hours HD video playback|
Also users get OTA (Over the Air) Updates provided directly by Nvidia, thus making sure everyone on the platform has the latest and greatest software running on their tablets.
Also of note, Nvidia has given us a list of unique features that they are bringing to the Tegra Note platform, they are as follows.
- Ultra-fast performance — Powered by Tegra 4 with a 72-core GeForce GPU and quad-core Cortex-A15 CPU with a fifth battery-saver core, making Tegra Note the world’s fastest 7-inch tablet.
- Superb stylus — NVIDIA DirectStylus technology transforms a normal stylus into an incredibly responsive experience with finer point and broader stroke control. It also comes bundled with apps for convenient, stroke-based note taking.
- Exceptional sound — NVIDIA PureAudio technology offers rich, deep audio — including the widest frequency range in a tablet — through front-facing stereo speakers with a bass-reflex port.
- Groundbreaking camera — The camera uses Tegra 4’s processing power and Chimera computational photography architecture to deliver stunning new features. Tegra Note also brings SmugMug’s Camera Awesome app — one of the top camera apps on iOS — to Android. Camera Awesome delivers exclusive Tegra 4 features like tap-to-track and 100 fps video with slow-motion playback.
- TegraZone gaming — Delivering unmatched gaming, NVIDIA TegraZone provides easy access to Tegra-optimized games with visual effects that aren’t available on other tablets. Tegra Note also supports a variety of game controllers for console-class gaming.
- Great battery life — 10-plus hours of HD video playback.
- Accessories galore — An intelligent slide cover flips and bends to support and cover the tablet. It also lets the tablet be set up in three distinct positions using built-in magnets for added flexibility. The DirectStylus Pro Pack enables a variety of writing styles with interchangeable tips. And Bluetooth capabilities turn the tablet into a game controller.
Over the next few months we will be seeing Tegra Note tablets rolling out around the world, eVGA and PNY in North America; EVGA, Oysters and ZOTAC in Europe; Colorful, Shenzhen Homecare Technology and ZOTAC in Asia-Pacific; and XOLO in India.
And it starts at a suggested retail price of $199. This is in hopes of getting more people to buy into the platform, all of which is running 100% on Android.
We will be filling you in on more details when they are available to us.
By Dayne “Anjel” Cody